scrappystickyinkymess


1 Comment

BIG CARDS – 8 of Diamonds

This one is less inky and painty but I had the idea of the technique and as I worked through it it didn’t seem appropriate to get all arty with it.

What I used – and sorry I didn’t take photos along the way, but I will try to explain – is a Prima mask, Distress ink, some old foam letters, some graph paper, a Quickie glue pen and some glitter.

First I embossed with the mask – using the Grand Calibur, which is quite wide, I stacked the base plate, mask, heavy cardstock, the embossing mat and embossing plate. Once I embossed it I used the mak as a mask, and smudged Barn door Distress ink in the gaps.  Taking the mask away I smudged Spun Sugar over the embossed areas. When that dried, I used the glue pen to line each circle (and I used the mask again for this) then added the glitter.  Once it dried I could easily whisk away the excess with a wide soft brush.  I did only a few circles at a time because the glue dies pretty quick.

I cut out the embossed area and sliced it in half to split it in two.  I added the number word and a thin black border, and mounted the split diamond half above and half below the word.

I think I need a layer of white card under the graph paper, which was from a tablet rather than “real” scrapbooking paper, as I can see the Diamonds from the card through that, just a bit.

In the close-up you can see the glitter a bit better.  I like this.  I think it could make a nice card topper too.  The embossing is more a pattern than deep embossing, but the effect is still a good one, I think. Def. one to play with a bit more.  I don’t know you could get the same effect with an embossing folder – the mask has holes in the negative space, where the embossing folder doesn’t.  There is no good way I can think of to get the two-tone effect.  Maybe if you brayer over the negative space  the folder then embossed then brayered over the embossing in another colour?  So long as the negative space was inked dark and the colours the same (like this, red deep and pink on the high points) you could brayer over the raised area without worrying too much about the other colour getting on the debossed bits.

Now, mini-book and printables on deck….

Advertisements


6 Comments

Printable word hearts

Just a quick one today as it’s DDs transition meeting.  I started these, gosh, ages ago, last year some time, but I wasn’t happy with how it was so I shelved it.  Got busy with other thing. Now that I seem to be on a Valentine’s Day kick I figured I might as well finish  up in a way I liked and post them.

There are two sheets, Hearts1 and Hearts2. You can see an overview here, as well as some overlaid Nesties to show how they can be cut. Also that they are spaced so you SHOULD be able to cut all of them with little waste. You could def. print one in economy mode and make yourself a template of the centre heart then cut that from coloured card or patterned paper to make them more interesting, but my experiences over the last 6 months with colour issues made me scrap the filled heart version, as a solid block of colour runs the risk of looking rubbish on YOUR printer, where a thin line of text will be more acceptable.

Impossible to read in the photo but it says: How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach…

That’s the 2″ circle punch, FYI. Then I made a quick card to show one way you might use them.

Loving my Cheery Lynn sunflower, still. And I did something nifty with it.  I got some WOW embossing powders to play with. I had the idea to emboss the die cut but wasn’t sure if it would work.  It did! I feared the fine lattice might be hard to ink and hard for the embossing powder to stick, but it worked great.  I have another idea for then die and the powders, but I messed up the first version so that may have to wait a few days before I can share it.

Basically I smeared Versamark all over the lattice surface – and I found that easier to do before I cut out the flower shape. This one I had already cut off the border but it really is easier, if very slightly wasteful of the powder, to leave the border on – then dumped on the whole pot to make sure I got good cover on it.

Heat embossed.  Hard to see, but it gives a lovely effect, and the lattice is then almost mold-able – I curved in the edges slightly, which you may be able to detect on the final card above.

I also did one with the Gold Satin Pearl that was really lovely, although that was part of the failed experiment.  This was their REGULAR grade powder in Earthtone Pomegranate, a very pretty colour.  I have some mauve glitter I am dying to try with this too. I could have cut the lattice from coloured card, and have done, but the enamel look of the embossing powder just adds something to it, I think.

Anyway, grab the printables if you like and comment with a link to anything you make with them so I can see.