I still have a LOT to do on the hexipuff blanket but I have finally finished the gel print circles so I can share a bit more info about the project and the inspiration. I saw a post …. someplace, I forget where, but a quick search led me to this YouTube video
The project is called Biology Rising and the process the artist used to create it… well… WOW. Lots of steps created a stunning result. The short version is gel prints on tissue paper, stuck to wire frames, coated in beeswax, hung like a curtain. With the light coming thru it’s magnificent!
Anyway, if you read regularly, you will have seen my process so far, but I will recap it here:
After sticking the black circles front and back, I cut them all out and began playing around with placement:
I decided that a few empty circles would add something interesting to the mix so I cut a few and played with placement again:
The frames are stuck together with double-stick adhesive. I needed a method to hang them and what I came up with was kinda interesting. I cut a piece of cardboard the width of the window and covered the front with black cardstock. I unbent a few large paper clips, creating a sort of U shape that fit over the window frame. I stuck that to the back of the cardboard with a combo of Art Glitter Glue and strong tape.
Now it is in place, sadly, on quite a dull and dismal day so not seen at it’s best, I think it looks fab.
I’ll hope for a brighter, maybe even sunny day tomorrow. I still have a pile of deli paper to use, and I think I may make a companion piece to fill the other window, as this is a three window bay.
Now, this is not anywhere near as stunning as the original, but I used stuff I had on hand, and all it really took me was the time to make it. The result if really pretty – it lets in plenty f the light so not worried about that being an issue, and it was a lot of fun to make. I will have to see how it looks from the outside LOL! The deli paper has a very definite front and back, and without the beeswax step it doesn’t have the same translucency but my version is achievable with some pretty basic supplies.
Now, back to cranking. Really hope I can get to maybe the halfway point on my blankie (or near to it) so I can share a progress shot.