It has been far too long since I felt up to any crafting but knitting. I am finally feeling a bit better and trying to flex my creative wings once again.
I am taking a free class from Carolyn Dube called Permission to Play (link in the sidebar) because I used to take part in her Gelli Print Party and I like her enthusiasm and her style.
I am not quite ready to jump in fully as I am very much out of practice, but a post in her group showed some fab ATCs. I remember that whenever I felt like I needed a little jumpstart, making ATCs usually worked a treat. Little bite-sized pieces of creativity, very manageable, and using nothing too precious.
I collected up some stuff – I wanted to make use of the prompt (Using Cardboard or Trash) so I started by covering some cardboard with bits of the Sparks of Art-spiration Carolyn includes as an endless resource – mess it up? print another! I also dragged out a sheet of Teesha Moore stamps that I had not yet even cut from the sheet. And cut them.
I think I may have mentioned about 100 times how much I loathe mounting stamps. I was not sure I had that sticky backed mounting stuff so I wasn’t sure how best to deal with them. I considered using sticky backed fun foam, which I have done before and which works pretty well, but what had been in my head was the crappy Creative Palette pseudo-Gelli plate that I reviewed in the past. Carolyn also has a video on using the Gelli plate to pick up the overflow from acrylic pours and when dry, use them as skins to add to your art. I saw that a day or so ago and thought that THAT might be a good use for the CP. It has languished in a drawer for YEARS and I hate to waste money so I’ve held on to it, SURE I would find a use for it SOMEDAY.) It was something I was already thinking about. A solution presented itself.
One problem with the CP is that is is really sticky, for Gelli plate-style pulling.
I had previously cut the CP into shapes with my Big Shot, thinking this was going to give me mini-gelli-plate style tools. It didn’t. But I pulled it out and stuck one of the bits to a stamp mount
and I pressed the unmounted stamp into the plate.
The first time I tried it the stamp fell off – it doesn’t grab the rubber supper firmly with just finger pressure, but if you are ready to stamp and you tamp the ink onto the stamp with a bit of pressure, it will hold.
And it’s a pretty sharp image, right?
So this makes me very happy! It means I can pretty closely trim the rubber around the stamp without stressing that I have undercut the image, I can cut close enough that I can see where the image will be placed, and I don’t need to buy sheet after sheet of mounting foam! RESULT!
Now, word of warning. If you try this, I would shake the mount and make sure the stamp is firmly attached before inking. It is a temporary hold, strong right after you have pressed the stamp into it and strongest after you have really pushed it down with the inkpad. It will eventually loosen and you might have the stamp fall off onto your project if you dally. Washing the CP (like you do with cling stamps) to refresh the sticky will help. I guess it depends on your tolerance for error, and need for perfection. For me, as I am not placing the images but will cut them out, it’s a great solution.
Sorry for the portrait style photos – after I decided to post it I realized my camera batteries were dead, the charger MIA and that my phone was downstairs. My iPad was near so I used that for the photos. Next time I’ll rotate it 90 degrees so the post isn’t so long. It’s like I have to learn how to blog all over again… DOH!