Worded on a couple of things yesterday. Another flower – this time I used canvas fabric and a flocked badge from Paperchase . The colour is better IRL than I think it appears in the photo. I used the Distress ink, Spiced Marmalade and Mustard Seed, to colour the canvas then stamped over it with Staz-on and a big Hero Arts stamp with word on. Cut, Stickles, and the same technique for curling the flower onto a sticky-covered cardstock circle. I had a few of the Paperchase badges forma layout I made a couple of years ago so I pried off the pin back and stuck that in the middle. Except for the Stickles drying time these flowers are really quick to make and I love the look of them. I want to try using Liquid Pearls instead today, for a softer, no-glitter effect – with soft colours I think it will look very pretty.
And the other thing was a doll, from a free pattern here. I had an email conversation with the designer a year or so ago, when making another doll, and she sent me a link to a page that had a bit more info – in particular her method for sewing up, which is to double the fabric, make a full freezer paper pattern, iron it on and sew around it then cut, rather than cutting with a seam allowance then sewing. Brilliant. And such a cutie.
DD wanted a Chinese doll (quite the Rainbow Coalition. doll-wise, at our house – we have one African, two Indian and now 3 Oriental dolls, plus two pure american ones and a couple British ones) so I found a colouring book page of Mulan and made the face from that. The fabric paint I have bleed all into the fabric so I fell back on my trusty scrapping supplies and drew on the face – Sharpie bled too so I used the Precision Pen and worked on the ironing board – draw a little, heat set quickly, and it worked. I used the Tulip Slick fabric paint to do the whites of the eyes and then filled in the lips with white and painted over them – I tried a Bic permanent marker, which was ok, but DD wanted really red lips so had to adjust.
She is mostly done, except the hair, although I am not sure of the proportions as I did the head a bit different. the Pattern one seemed very small to DD so I increased the size a bit and made the face more of an oval. As long as she is happy, it doesn’t have to look “real” so I don’t stress about it. Not sure what DH will say about another doll that needs carting up and down the stairs every day (since he usually carries them!) but I have extracted another promise that this is, truly, the LAST DOLL, so fingers crossed!