Today I thought I would show a few of the things I’ve tried to colour Thermomorph.
The obvious is to apply colour to the surface. I tried a lot of things that worked.
Using the samples from yesterday, I first tried Sharpies/Bic markers. For the first sample I coloured the whole thing with the light blue then stroked the purple over the high points. I really liked how that worked. The alcohol ink + metal mixatives in silver is great when you want an all-over application of colour. For the butterfly I first embossed the piece, cut it with a deep cut die, then used the Sharpies/Bic markers and my ink spritzer tool. I also dotted black into the debossed areas. The last one I painted with Silkies then daubed off the colour from the raised embossed part. But all it takes is a little moisture to wipe away all the Silkies. So not one of my preferred methods!
and the spritzed ink:
I only had a chance to try a couple of mix-ins, to colour the Thermomorph BEFORE using it. I didn’t get too much of a mottled effect even with the surface colour, but the mix-in option gives a very smooth look. You may have to drop your Thermomorph back into the hot water, to be able to mix it totally, but although some colour came out into the water, once it was mixed in there was no further loss.
I first mixed in some cheap mica powder (came free with a mag, maybe, can’t recall) and that gave a lovely glow, but not like proper mica on card, more subtle and soft.
I didn’t time it but it felt like the mica added in delayed the hardening of the Thermomorph very slightly.
Embossed and die cut, it makes a nice embellishment. I swiped Archival ink over it to hit the high points and it was good. When it dried, it didn’t wipe off. Staz-on works too, but not Distress or Adirondack – or at least for me they wiped off even when dry.
I put the pellets in a small paint palette and dripped on some alcohol ink. I let it dry for a bit, but even so, the ink came out in the hot water – well some of it did. But mixing it in well I got a lovely smooth uniform and translucent colour. Really pretty.
and the molded flower?
I also grated a bit of Inktense and mixed THAT into the hot Thermomorph. It ended up slight mottled, but when I dipped it into the hot water again, to be able to mix it together for a bit longer, nothing much came out. The final bit was interesting, less uniformly coloured than the alcohol ink, but still nice.
I ran that thru an embossing folder of leaves, then cut one of the branches with scissors.
By dipping the leaves and middle of the stem into the hot water I softened it JUST enough to curve the leaves over a paintbrush handle and then to press the two together and make the leaves stick. Heating the back of the flower with a heat gun helped make the join more solid.
I did try Stickles but that didn’t mix in at ALL. I think glitter might work, but I don’t think it would ever be a very smooth and uniform colour. Maybe glitter WITH something else might work, but I’m not sure I’d like it on its own. Overall, the mix-in is for when you want to get messy, and the surface colouring for when you want to stay clean LOL! The Inktense gratings and the Alcohol ink stained my fingers A LOT, the mica powder not at all, but it did float around in the air a bit. As for the surface colouring, paint and other ink/re-inkers may work too but I just didn’t get around to playing with them. Copics or Promarkers should work, but the Sharpies and Bics are cheaper so I went for them.
I am waiting for a delivery, and once it gets here I’ll do a further review. Once again, here is the product info:
Product Name: Thermomorph
Size: 500 grams
Material: Polymorph granules