Making progress!

I’ve managed to finish up the chili clock – really happy with how it turned out.


The quote is (supposedly) from Kit Carson – his lasts words, and clearly the perfect quote, as it mentions both TIME and CHILI!


I am loving the UTEE embossing.  I left a sort of pebble-y finish on some of them which gives a more textured look, I think.  That, and the three different sizes of chilis keep it from all looking to flat.  I did do the smaller green ones and added all the numbers, which I think I prefer.  I am undecided if I want to add just a few more – leaving SOME of the background peeping through helps the illusion the whole thing is just a big pile of chilis, and I’m not sure if filling in will take that away.  Like many things, I think I will live with it on my desk for a little while and then decide.

The image is from The Graphics Fairy.  I downloaded it ages ago, with the idea of using it when making the booth sign for DH and his chili cook-offs this year, but haven’t needed it yet.  When he mentioned me making a chili clock last week, it was nice to say I have the perfect image for that! and open it up to show him.

Other progress:  I cut the sashing strips to join the long panels of the quilt.  I knew it was going to be tight to be able to use the same brown as the backing, but just HOW TIGHT I didn’t know.  Check it out:


Yep.  Those are the three strips all cut, and that teeny tiny little pile of debris is what is left.  That was really cutting it close to the bone! Now I just need to decide on the binding and the back sashing.  I have two greens I am auditioning, one which is enough for the sashing, but I am pretty sure NOT for the binding.  I think I may prefer that one, which sucks, as I bought it as an end of the bolt for like £3 per metre and I suspect there is little chance of getting more.  Always the way…

chalkatcAnd I’ve been playing with my program to see if I could achieve something like the blackboard effect that seems to be EVERYWHERE at the moment.  I could do it in Photoshop but I’m more interested in seeing if I can do it in Intaglio.  Sort of.  I discovered a whole new menu that I haven’t ever played with at all, using Corelimage. Lots of nifty things to explore.   The text is too crisp and clear, but overall it’s interesting.  More play needed, I think. And it occurs to me that having a black ATC-backer that requires you to add the info in white pen might not actually be useful at all.  So I may abandon it for this little project, and wait for a better application of it.


Gelli clock – improvement!

So after I made my Gelli clock, I installed it in the lounge.  Two immediate problems presented themselves – one, the TICKING, OMG THE TICKING.  It is SO LOUD.  As someone who really, really hates sounds like humming, whistling (especially tunelessly) or any rhythmic, repeated noises, like tapping of feet or jangling of keys, this is driving me INSANE.  No way to fix that.  But problem two, the difficulty in seeing the black hands over the highly patterned face of the clock…that I can fix.

I cut a sort of arrow shape from a spare Gelli print.  This was on fairly heavy card, so slightly rigid, but not too heavy.  I feared the extra weight on the hands might impede their proper working.


I lined the edges with a black pen, just hoping to add some additional contrast.Then I stuck them to the existing hands – temporarily, while I test to check the timekeeping.


I installed them.  The only thing to make sure of is that the second hand clears the minute hand, and the minute hand clears the hour hand – you may need to very slight bend them to make sure of that.


I think you will agree this is going to be FAR EASIER to see, late at night, in a semi-darkened room where the TV and one small lamp are the only lights.


It’s been running for a little while and SO FAR. the clock on the wall and the Gelli clock (and the clock on my Mac) seem to all be in sync.  The hands have made multiple revolutions and they are positioned correctly so they don’t interfere with each other.

I am tempted to replace the clock mechanism with a quieter one, however.  As it stand now I suspect it will have the battery taken out and go in a box.  Shame, as I like the look of it, esp. with the improvement, but honestly I would surely check it before yo go to the trouble to make one to see if the ticking, esp. in a quiet room, will make you crazy.  I keep thinking it will fade into the background but I am now far too aware of the passage of time – and at my age, this is NOT a good thing LOL!