LOL! Funny how this one came about. An email asking about an origami folder. I think I actually made one of these before but it’s been AGES and I had totally forgotten about it.
One of my followers was working on something that used a variation of this as a base. She wanted my opinion on one element, which I gave, and I think sorted out the problem she was having. But in order to do that, I had to make one again, to see how it worked. It’s a fairly well-known origami fold, but making it gave me an idea. I thought it wouldn’t be too difficult to make one that was ATC size, to use as either an actual ATC or as a folder/mailer for an ATC.
The trick is the size of the paper and where to make the folds.
1. Cut your paper to 8 x 10 inches – I was using a sheet of grid paper from a spiral notebook so couldn’t manage 8 inches across
Mine ended up about 7 3/4 inches, but so long as the essential fold falls at 7 inches, it’s fine. I’ll reference it when it comes up later.
2. Fold in half, top to bottom
3. Open and with the mountain fold up, fold the top edge to the fold, then the bottom edge to the fold, creating a W
4. Open the sheet and crease and fold 1/2 inch down at the top and bottom edge, towards the centre mountain fold.
5. Fold all four corners in to meet the first fold, like so:
then fold in. Again, the mountain fold is facing you.
6. Flip over, and score one end at 7 inches. This is where the width of the paper might make the size of the folded edge differ.
Mine is only 3/4 inch because my sheet couldn’t be 8 inches once I cut off the holes.
7. Insert the edge without the fold into the small triangles, like so:
and fold along the centre crease to close and create a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 folder!
You now have a folder that can BE an ATC, HOLD and ATC, or just be a cute little folder for anything.
Kinda sorry I have already made most of my ATCs for the WOYWW swap, and they are too thick to fit inside this, but I have another idea to play with that I might keep in my back pocket for another swap sometime….
I’m not mentioning the follower only because she told me what her plan is for her version and she might not want that. If she wants to, she can comment with a link or more info.