NOTE: Just to add a link for you. The font I used is called Art Post and is free to download from daFont.
OK, so I know that I often do things that not everyone would bother with. There are a ton of great alphabet stamp sets out there, and generally I think people are inclined to just buy one. I often find fonts that I LOVE, would buy a stamp set from that font it one was available, but it isn’t. What has held me back from making my own is either the font is too intricate to cut from fun foam or I can’t imagine a good way to store the stamps. The thought of a box of loose stamps isn’t really appealing (although I do have boxes of foam stamps from back in the day that I still use, I really don’t need MORE boxes of them) so I usually resort to some other method – like printing the text and using it that way.
Today I had a lightbulb moment.
I printed the font I used yesterday for the word block (Art Post Black) and cut the letters from fun foam. This is an easy font to cut, due to the blocky nature of it and the fact there are no “open bits” to the letters.
It’s a perfect task for doing in front of the TV or while listening to Radio 4.
So long as you print the font the right way around then mount the print to the paper covering over the sticky side, then letters will be the right way round for mounting.
I first thought they would be fine stuck to another but of foam, as it was quick and dirty, but DIRTY is the right word – the flimsy foam and the fact the stamps weren’t very thick meant getting a good impression was tricky.
Even if I curved them a little I still got paint on the surround – plus the opaque back made it hard to place the stamp accurately. Can you see that I often use my 6 x 6 Gelli pate as a stamp pad? a little medium added to the paint lets it stay open longer so it doesn’t dry out too much.
The give of the plate makes it better for getting a thin, even coat on a stamp than brushing on paint! But the other issues left me with not a great result
So two problems to solve. The first issue – the fact the fun foam is fairly thin – was solved by sticking the cut letters to another sheet of fun foam and doing a rough cut around them. It’s not necessary to cut the letters precisely – the second layer is more like a cushion, and as this is a grungy sort of font a tiny bit of overstamping is OK with me, but not as much as you see above!
I took a piece of clear plastic packaging and using the grid on my mat, stuck the foam stamps to that – just to make sure they were straight – and cut them plastic into rectangles. The key is to leave a good space at the top (or bottom) cause the solution to the storage issue is simple, effective, and tidy. Punch a hole in the plastic – I just used a standard hole punch – and thread it on a ball chain!
I used a longer chain that was strictly needed because I found I could load them on in alphabetical order and stamp with them without taking them off the chain that way.
I did write the letter on the back of the plastic with a Sharpie (and for any future sets I think I might use something other than black foam, but that was what I had on hand) just so there was no way I would mistake the top for the bottom and stamp an upside down letter. And you can see the stamping is MUCH improved, bit in neatness and placement.
So now I have a custom stamp set of a font I love, that cost me the price of two sheets of craft foam, a bit of rubbish plastic, and no more than an hour of my time. Totally worth doing. I still have the numbers to do – and one of the advantages of this is you do get both letters AND numbers, cause I hate it when I use a stamp set and don’t have the numbers to match – and I might do a couple of words in a bigger point size (this is 64 pt) just for fun. And I have a couple of other fonts I am loving at the moment that might work well for this … and I have about 3 weeks of EastEnders to catch up on so that sounds like a match made in heaven….