It’s been a while since I’ve played with my Gelli plate. I had an idea for my art journal and wanted to try it out on some random Gelli prints I had kicking around and am pleased with how well it worked.
I am using Intaglio (Mac only) for the design, but no reason it can’t be done the same way in PSE. I am cutting with the Cricut and SCAL, but again, no reason any cutter that has a TRACE function wouldn’t work as well.
First I created the layout. They key is for each letter to be its own layer, so you can move them to touch. This font is called Art Post Black – it’s very distressed but by changing the settings in SCAL I can get rid of the tiny dots that the grungy font gives – just take CORNER and DESPECKLE up to 100. Not sure what this would be in PSE, but you can just pick a less-grungy font instead.
Can you see each letter is its own object?
and grouped as a single unit
Then imported into SCAL and traced
Now, rather than do this from report cover plastic, as I have done loads of times, I wanted something with a little more weight, more stable. I covered an index card with contact paper, front and back
I trimmed the excess from the edges and then (just to be sure it didn’t move on my old, less than perfectly sticky mat) added a bit of painters tape. I took the speed right down and the depth of the cut right up.
The second one, with a more scripty font, I only covered the front of the card with the contact paper (beig frugal) but more on that later.
I cut a circle just bigger than the block of text
I did some sketchy black lines to better define the letters but not required. Love it.
Because the word block mask was slick on the back, I was able to pull a ghost on another print. Because the circle mask was NOT slick, I got virtually none of the black – which is what you want.
I just defined the edge of the circle with a black pen, and outlined the words with white for some nice contrast
Now, with the scripty writing I laid it down on top of another scrap print and sponged over it – this gave me a more…organic looking black-out to define the text.
Ditto the white outline, although I did first try outlining with hot pink.
One advantage of using the index cards is the lines – they help if you want to make sure things are straight
When I tried to pull this mask off, as there was no contact paper on the back, it fell to pieces. and no hope of a ghost. So this is NOT the time to skimp – cover both sides of the card and you will not only make it possible to get a print AND a ghost, you will make the whole thing a lot more stable. And choose your fonts carefully – too scripty and the mask will be thin in places, and therefore weak. Big and bold and it will be stronger – and personally I think big and bold and grungy suits the Gelli plate “look” better than pretty does.