I finished and it worked out fairly well. who am I kidding? I’m over the moon with it.
I sewed the signatures to the spine – I won’t know until I actually use it how effective and sturdy that will be! I did one signature with a small stitch and one with a bit longer one – I worry that the small stitch will be too weak and in future I think I might use the clear nylon thread or thicker linen thread. What can I do but use it and see what happens?
There is very little gap between the signatures – I marked and clamped it all carefully to try to keep it all straight.
And the signatures open nicely and pretty flat – certainly at least as flat as a moleskin journal
You can see the stitching but it’s not obtrusive IYKWIM
Cutting the cover pieces to fit was simple enough – I cut the two areas I liked best to size, and stuck the spine to them, front and back, then stuck the leftover bits (just a bit too small widthwise) to sandwich
I added a strip of the bags left over when I trimmed them to size, over the bare bit, both to reinforce it and to cover the gap.
I pressed some drywall tape into gold paint on the Gelli plate. I often use my smaller Gelli plate as a sort of stamp pad, for lack of a better word. I find the giving nature of the surface and the fact the paint does stay damp for a bit, works really well to press in a stamp, get good cover on it, and then stamp. So I thought this would work with the drywall tape. It did, but to be honest I’m not sure just brayering the paint on wouldn’t have worked equally as well.
I Covered the spine with a bit of the brown bag then layered the gold drywall tape over that. The adhesive on it is not that strong, so I may end up adding a layer of acrylic medium over it – in fact I may end up doing the whole cover, just to make it waterproof too.
I one sense I am dying to get some paint into it, but in another I am scared stiff to mess it up. I just gotta let go, I think, and have at it!