A few years back I saw something by Traci Bunkers about making stamps for printing. One of the ideas was for using a soldering iron or wood burning tool to make incised pipe insulation tubes to turn them into rollers. I always hankered after giving it a go, but the only tool I could find had a US plug on it. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned it to DH and he said we DID have a UK-plug soldering iron in the garage someplace. I found it, but the tip was like a little bar, where what I wanted was a fine point. I kinda gave up on the idea, but then, when trolling the wallpaper aisles I found this little roller set for like £2. With no firm idea in mind, except maybe experimenting with wrapping the foam rollers with twine, wire, or string and using it to create a pattern (which does work, BTW) I took it home.
While tidying up (still am not done with that yet!) I found the tubes. And all of a sudden I had two idea. First, I could clearly see that the foam roller, if slightly stripped, would fit neatly into the hole in the pipe insulation. As the rollers are meant to be interchangeable on the roller handle they would turn a series of insulation tubes into rollers.
I tried carving (sort of) the insulation tubes by just cutting then with a knife and ripping out areas. You can kinda see that above. Once you get it started, the insulation material rips away easily.
The prints are cool – but do bear in mind I only had a short time to play, as the next 4 days or so are pretty chaotic around here. But this will give you an idea. One important thing to note – don’t be too heavy-handed with the paint! And keep the roller handle fairly flat, ie parallel to the surface. If you increase the angle to 90 degrees, or even 45 degrees, the roller will sort of skip/slide across the surface. flat angle and it rotates/rolls
Keep in mind once the roller is loaded it becomes a stamp – just roll the paint off onto another print.
So THAT got me thinking – could I make pattern rollers with Fun Foam? Yep.
and a flawed one
The issue with this is that text on the plate is problematic. You have to choose if it’s more important to have the text right way or wrong way, as a “stamp”
or a paint removal tool.
Now if you limited your choice of letters, using ONLY those that read the same forward and backward V M o O Y…etc) than it would read right either use. But might be sort of boring. Still, it’s a thought.
Now, the fun foam sticks, but not permanently. A few of the super-thin letter ended up in odd places (stuck to the hem of my shirt, on the toe of my boot…) and one I did with thin strips of fun foam curled into spirals worked fine but by this morning the spiral had come loose in areas. Big circles slide along the plate more than I wanted. So that is an idea to play with a bit more.
I really want to have the time to work with these to make actual useful prints rather than quick playtime samples. but not this week, that’s for sure.