Frustrated. You know me by now – I can never seem to make just ONE of anything. I had mentioned I thought the shaped flags would be a nice place to add photos or stamped images, so I decided to have a bit of a play with that. I managed to get pretty much all the photos I needed to explain the alternative ribbon tie arrangement that was to be the technique portion of todays post, then my camera died. Apparently it dies before it actually saved at least 2 photos, which would have given you a glimpse into the body of the book. They are recharging as I type but they take HOURS, and could I find four working batteries in the house anyplace to snap the last few shots? Could I HECK!
This was born from my annoyance with ribbon ties. Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE ribbon ties. What I HATE is the way the ribbon crosses the cover. You have to either think long and hard about how to incorporate it into the design or place it carefully so it doesn’t block anything important.
I had a print I wanted to use:
It’s a grungy looking clean-up Gelli print with one of my stencils – the stencil image is actually Alcohol Ink smudged thru, not paint of stamping ink, just FYI.
I think you see the problem. There is nowhere to place the ribbon where it’s not going to compromise the design. With a normal sort of cover (ie sticking the paper to the cover, sandwiching the ribbon between the board and the print) it wouldn’t be that much of a big deal. But with a turtle wrapped cover (which is needed to allow the flag book to slot in and expand once opened) you can’t do that as easily. The side flaps of the wrap prevent me from just sticking the ribbon to the back of the cover. What I opted to do was add a couple more eyelets – that also adds a decorative note but one that is subtle.
I added one on the right, near the opening edge
then threaded the ribbon to the back.
I added a 2nd eyelet to the left edge and threaded the ribbon across the back and out to the front.
The spine eyelets still get added. but the ribbon just lays along the back of the book.
I also used different shapes for the flags. With the Nesties, because the gradation in size between the dies in a set required both the circle dies, I wanted something that could use just one set. People complain about the Xcut dies being too far apart, not “nesting” like cardmakers want. But for me the wide space between them was perfect. This one is called Leaves, but to be it’s a teardrop.
And I think you have seen this collection of sad stamps before:
There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. (Washington Irving)
It is such a secret place, the land of tears. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
They worked perfectly but (and I really and truly don’t mean to tease!) it’ll have to wait for the batteries to share. Which actually works out well because I wanted to bore you with a little discussion about symbolism. Be warned LOL!