Venetian Blind book – how-to

OK, I’ve whittled down the photos to a manageable number (I hope still providing enough info) and will try to explain as I go.  It’s not difficult, really, but there are a few little changes to a standard VB book as well as a little alteration to the turtle wrap cover.

Start with a large sheet of Vellum.  Mine is actually labelled TRACING PAPER (by Goldline) and is about 12 x 16.

Mark off 2 inches at the top and bottom and 8 inches thru the middle.  This is the area you want to pull your Gelli print in.  Outside the marks will either be hidden under the covers (top and bottom) or cut away (at the sides.)


As you can see with the 8×10 plate there is some overlap but with the other decor and the pages folded it’s not as noticable.

Trim the sides to give you an 8 x 16 inch strip – if you can’t find this size vellum you can do two 10 x 10 pieces and overlap one 2 inch section.  Just be sure to use vellum adhesive so it doesn’t show.

I will add a post that deals more with the decoration tomorrow so will deal only with the CONSTRUCTION today, as that is a ton of photos already.

NOTE:  Visually, it is easier for ME to decorate each “page”, so I opted to fold the accordion FIRST.  YOU may prefer to decorate the whole area that will become the pages once you fold it FIRST.  

Score the 8 x 16 inch strip every 2 inches and accordion fold it. Start with a VALLEY fold – due to the size you will also END with a Valley fold.That small lighter area at the left is the first page – the last page is more obvious!


Make the covers.  As per the previous post on the turtle wrap, make the covers 8 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches

The slight alteration is to add adhesive and stick down the FRONT (side flap) pieces. This is just to make it more secure



Wrap the end flap piece as before, add NO ADHESIVE or it won’t allow the end pages of the accordion fold to slip inside.  Don’t worry, we will be attaching them securely another way.

Once the cover is wrapped both ways, make a mark 1 inch from either short side.  Slightly off the centre.  I fell this allows the book to “hang” better than a true centre-line hole will.



Insert the ends of the vellum accordion into the covers.  Make sure if the print has a direction that it’s the right way  round.

Slip the ends of the accordion into the open areas of the covers and fold it up. Make sure the pages are fully inside the covers, it’s all straight and centred then hold it firmly or clamp it with binder clips to make sure it doesn’t shift.  Punch holes thru the WHOLE THING at the marks.


With both covers attached I wasn’t sure about the Crop-a-dile getting cleanly thru all the layers so I did the front cover and all the vellum pages, then did the final cover on its own.  Just take care to ensure the holes will match up!

Now, set eyelets thru the holes in the COVERS ONLY. This will secure the first and last pages within the covers so there is no slippage later when you open the book.

covereyeNow, decide on the string/twine/ribbon you will use.  You will need two beads that fit the fibre SNUGLY. I used fairly thick twine as I had good beads on hand to fit.

For the measurement, the twine needs to be at least double the height of the book plus 10 inches plus a couple of inches for the knots.  Let’s call it a yard (36 inches) to be safe.



Fold the twine/ribbon/whatever in half.  Lay it over the cover and pull up a small bit to form the hanger.  Make a knot at ONE SIDE. Thread the twine thru the holes – the knot should be on the OUTSIDE of the cover.


I found wrapping the ends of the twine with a bit of tape compressed the fibres and let me thread it easily. Thread the knotted side thru the cover only.

Pull the twine so the knot is snug to the cover.  Again, hold up your “hanger” and make another knot at the other eyelet. Now knot each side inside the cover.


Thread each end of the twine thru the entire accordion folded piece AND the bottom cover.

Slip the beads onto the twine.  again, you need this to be a very tight fit.



Why not Knot?  You could, I suppose, but by using the beads (snug fit beads) it allows you to compress the accordion pages, snug the beads right up to the back of the bottom cover, and then “turn” the pages more like a book.  The knot would stay in place, at the full extension of the pages, and I didn’t find that it performed as well as a BOOK, IYKWIM.




The last issue is what to do with all that twine!  I found the easiest way to deal with it was what I showed yesterday:

16how2vbgelliI simply took the two long ends, slipped them thru the “hanger” and pulled it taut.  Then I tied the two loose ends around it.  Not perfect, not elegant, but it gave me a closure that keep all the twine tamed, while still allowing the hanging aspect of the piece.

Once again, the final shot:



I have one or two ideas about improving the hanger part but I’m not entirely sure it will work as I imagine.  If I do work it out, I’ll share!

Tomorrow, I’ll cover how I did the decorations.  There are one or two things worth mentioning you simply can’t see in the construction shots.