While the power as out the sun wasn’t shining, so apologies if some of the photos are a bit dark.
I had a good long experimental play session today. I had some ideas I wanted to try, the first being additives to the acrylic medium. I did that first on the fish (the one I pointed out as having “something going on” that you couldn’t really see) where I used silver metallic paint . While it worked well, giving a sheer soft glow, I was sure that gold would work better and that Pearl-Ex (or perfect Pearls or some other mica powder) would be better. It was. None of the photos will really capture the sheer-ness of the shimmer, not like I see it IRL, but maybe they will give you enough of an idea for you to have a bash.
The first thing I did was to mix up the acrylic medium with the Pearl-Ex. I wanted a nice smooth paste, the consistency of paint, and I wanted the mica powder to be just a bit, so when the medium dried the sheer quality wouldn’t be lost.
Now, you can see I tried a few things over it, a bit like the GA video where they daub on Distress Stain and the medium acts as a resist. The issue is the stain, ink sprays, and mica sprays all dull the shine of the powder at least a bit. In that sense, the metallic PAINT mixed with the medium is maybe a bit better. It does still have a subtle glow to it, but you can’t really see it here.
With the little smidge left, scraped together, I could do a dimensional effect through sequin waste! You can see it there above at the far left.
I had used a sea green Pearl-ex for this one, but then I went for gold. Oh that was fab. I think you can see it best in these shots:
You can see it slightly, but angle it and the sheer shine comes thru more:
And it’s really nice when layered over standard pulls.
I had also experimented with pulling a print on the shiny side of an old CD. The CD grabbed a fair bit of the paint from the plate, but there was a fair bit left so I pulled that on paper. You can clearly see the impression of the CD here. And the CD itself is way cool – as is adding superfine glitter to the Acrylic medium, although the samples were done using a really rubbish stencil. While you can see that it works the samples are just not all that attractive. Neither are some of these, to be fair, but I like the glittered effect well enough that I’d like to showcase it better. This may end up being a multi-post day LOL! I have a couple more things I played with that I feel might need some further experimentation and/or refining before I share. I want to play enough that I can offer some guidelines for how to get the effects I got.
But oh I DID have fun…..