I’ve managed to finish up the chili clock – really happy with how it turned out.
The quote is (supposedly) from Kit Carson – his lasts words, and clearly the perfect quote, as it mentions both TIME and CHILI!
I am loving the UTEE embossing. I left a sort of pebble-y finish on some of them which gives a more textured look, I think. That, and the three different sizes of chilis keep it from all looking to flat. I did do the smaller green ones and added all the numbers, which I think I prefer. I am undecided if I want to add just a few more – leaving SOME of the background peeping through helps the illusion the whole thing is just a big pile of chilis, and I’m not sure if filling in will take that away. Like many things, I think I will live with it on my desk for a little while and then decide.
The image is from The Graphics Fairy. I downloaded it ages ago, with the idea of using it when making the booth sign for DH and his chili cook-offs this year, but haven’t needed it yet. When he mentioned me making a chili clock last week, it was nice to say I have the perfect image for that! and open it up to show him.
Other progress: I cut the sashing strips to join the long panels of the quilt. I knew it was going to be tight to be able to use the same brown as the backing, but just HOW TIGHT I didn’t know. Check it out:
Yep. Those are the three strips all cut, and that teeny tiny little pile of debris is what is left. That was really cutting it close to the bone! Now I just need to decide on the binding and the back sashing. I have two greens I am auditioning, one which is enough for the sashing, but I am pretty sure NOT for the binding. I think I may prefer that one, which sucks, as I bought it as an end of the bolt for like £3 per metre and I suspect there is little chance of getting more. Always the way…
And I’ve been playing with my program to see if I could achieve something like the blackboard effect that seems to be EVERYWHERE at the moment. I could do it in Photoshop but I’m more interested in seeing if I can do it in Intaglio. Sort of. I discovered a whole new menu that I haven’t ever played with at all, using Corelimage. Lots of nifty things to explore. The text is too crisp and clear, but overall it’s interesting. More play needed, I think. And it occurs to me that having a black ATC-backer that requires you to add the info in white pen might not actually be useful at all. So I may abandon it for this little project, and wait for a better application of it.