Having done enough smaller quilts for LillyBo (although still not delivered them yet! I keep saying I have to make the bags! but can’t set aside all the stuff I am ENJOYING to do it. I will, I will, soon) I had an idea so I just sort of went with it. That is my way…
Anyway, I don’t know if this qualifies as a MODERN QUILT – I think it does – but it has elements of QAYG, free-form piecing (only in that I am beginning with no pattern, making it up as I go along) and I am having a go at machine quilting, albeit using the feed dogs up and the walking foot – free-MOTION quilting I think I am still a way off from.
Basically, I am using some fabric I unearthed, pretty sure it is from some of DDs “ethnic” dolls. As I’ve said before, row after row of peachy white faces didn’t appeal to her – she wanted Chinese dolls, Afro-Carribean dolls, Asian dolls….. I have NO IDEA why I bought the khaki colour. I simply cannot think why I would. Anyway I have a huge chunk of it (maybe destined for a backing at some point when I flirted with quilting in the past?) and it works with the beige and the bright strips, I think.
My method is this: I am slashing the long strips of fabric, on a 45 degree angle, and inserting the strips of multicoloured fabrics to create the angled lines. I am finding in fiendishly difficult to make the side seams perfectly aligned! Try tho’ I may, they always seem to be just that little bit off. I am going slow, taking care of the seam allowance (I used an index card with a 1/4 inch line to position the needle to ensure I am keeping the 1/4 inch seam allowance – read that trick SOMEPLACE and it’s a good one), taking note of the bias nature of the seams, and making sure I am aware of the action of the feed dogs pulling the top fabric at a different rate than the bottom so I am stitching with the right fabric top or bottom. And they still don’t match up perfectly. Grrr.
The QAYG idea I have adapted to fit my needs. I am sewing the long strips then doing the quilting so I am dealing with only a small bit of fabric thru the machine at a time. Maybe you can see the pattern in this shot? The angles are sort of concentric lines into the middle and the straight bits (where I have two colourful strips close together, going at the same angle) are…straight lines.
I am loving how it is turning out, but I do wish I could work out so the sides line up perfectly when I insert the strip! The strips are about 2.5 inches wide, and mostly I have been looking at asterisk quilt blocks for guidance but they tend to end with squaring up the block, which I don’t really want to have to do with the long strips, and lose too much of the width.
Once I have the long strips pieced and quilted, my plan is to join then with long sashing just between the columns, in the QAYG style, using the SAME fabric for the sashing on the back so it LOOKS like one continuous piece of fabric, rather than a contrasting colour – but I may still change my mind on THAT – I joined Craftsy and got a free class on pieced backings when I did so I will watch that and see if making the backing with a pattern to it appeals to me more.
Now, I have to await delivery of 505 quilt basting spray as finding it at a local shop has proved impossible. So I’ll carry on piecing and then see where this goes. I am also still working on two different quilts with big-stitch hand-quilting but that is proving difficult to find time for. I have high hopes for the long trip to skating tomorrow when I know I will have a good 90 minutes of travel time, at least, and provided I am not piercing my fingers with every stitch in the bumpy car, I should make some progress.
Oh, and the Tando clock – be warned! I def. need to highlight the hands to make them stand out better from a distance, and OMG the TICKING! It is soooooo LOUD. Honestly, I can hear it over the TV. If you like a silent clock this is not the thing for you LOL!