scrappystickyinkymess


1 Comment

BIG CARDS – King of Hearts (now back to black!)

I have been steering away from anything too textural, not sure why.  As I had been tidying up, I found a large chunk of bubble wrap.  An idea was born.  Oh, I’ve done the normal printing with ink or stippling paint with the bubbles but I wanted to do something a little different this time.

I started by using a palette knife to spread an icing-thick layer of copper acrylic paint on a piece of nice weight cardstock.

Moving slightly quickly (although not quite quick enough, as you will see) I laid the bubble wrap over and pressed it into the layer of paint.

Left it a bit, then peeled it back.  I got a nice overall texture, although in a few places the paint was either too thin or too dry – but I guess that just helped me decide on the next step.

I dripped a bit of red ink and sponged it all over the copper, then used a bit of the wrap to daub on some darker red bits with more acrylic paint.

With the palette knife I dragged across a bit of white, then did the milk bottle top circles with more white.  White letters and all done.

Loving this.  Def. one to use again, I think.  And experiment with other sorts of things to embed the texture too, like maybe the wavy ridges on the bottom of flip-flops.  That might be very cool.

Now I have to adjust a bit.  I have 14 cards left, the Clubs, and 14 weeks left in the year.  I am not sure how realistic it will be to carry on with this thru the holidays.  Overall, I have tried a ton on things, some I have done before, some I thought might work and did, some I had read about and decided to give it a go.  At the very least, even if they aren’t “useful,” or real ART, they have been fun and instructive and that makes the whole thing worth it.


Leave a comment

Bonus post! Mini rosettes from the TH die

I almost forgot about this one so I am adding it between the Sunday post and the regular BIG CARD one.

I was thinking about the layout I did a while back with the rosettes.

At the time I made it, I had the idea to trim off part of the die-cut, to make the rosette smaller, without having to resort to scoring and creasing one by hand (one that would not have the cute scalloped edge like the die-cut one.) Of course if I had taken a moment to really LOOK at it I would have realized that cutting off the side meant the whole thing basically fell apart.  It was bugging me, as things sometimes do, and while I had a roll of Washi tape on my desk it gave me an idea!

I die cut the rosette, then trimmed off about 1/2 inch from the non-scalloped side.

I stuck a line of Washi tape along the cut edge then folded it over to the back.

Crease and fold as normal.  The tape is a little thicker, so really you HAVE to use hot glue to stick it all together – it will spring open if you don’t!

Here you can see it in relation to the normal die-cut rosette….

and here on top of a 2″ punched circle, just to give you an idea.  I think with various Washi tape/patterned paper combos you could come up with some really cute ones.