scrappystickyinkymess


10 Comments

Doing the HAPPY DANCE – Tim Holtz Rosette die WoRKS!

OMG – I am totally doing the happy dance right now.  I thought I would have to struggle to get the words from my Rosette Word files to fit the Tim Holtz die but they work, pretty much as is!!

I first held a pre-cut die up over the print out, to see what sort of adjustment I would need to make.  Not sure if you can see this, but the words fit near perfectly as they are.

Can you see how they fall between the score lines?

As Julia-the-lovely gave me a whole stack of pre-cut ones as well as the die, I thought the easiest thing to do was to attach the pre cut dies, first placing them with the window light to guide me.

Now the thickness of the cardstock caused two slight problems – first, the top edge had some ink deposited on it not a lot, but a smudge.  I would solve that flipping the file and printing, so the smudge was at the bottom, where the top edge would overlap.  For these I just joined them by sticking the clean bottom edge OVER the smudged top edge.  I would use some good strong adhesive for that, as it isn’t a good a way to do it as joining as intended, bottom fold tucked under the top edge.  Next issue, and if you look at the last couple of the Merry Christmas ones you can see it clearest   (and also by the fact that the words NOT printed on the dies are off by a bit) is that the paper shifts every so slightly, again, I suspect due to the thickness.  PEACE is nearly perfect in placement, Merry Christmas has a few that are close but not perfect.  Now look at them folded:

PEACE is short enough that the companion circle that the die cuts works fine.  Merry Christmas is a little long, so a smaller circle works better.  I’ve tried to capture the wonky areas so you can see that even so they are not half bad!

Two things – first, it may work better (but it may not) if the card stock is printed first and then die cut – but I think the same problem with slippage may occur.  Second, making the words a smaller point size will def. help – mine were pretty much as big as they could be, but I can see the advantage of making them smaller.  I’m just not sure that I will like that.

Are you as excited by this as I am?  Probably not – but I can’t believe that the most recent file works.  Now I am NOT sure the previous ones do, only because I think I tried to adjust further down the list, for the slippage I was getting with hand scoring.  But I will make some files for you – or you can use my instructions to make your own with any words you like – when I can.

Just to add the WIP link!


6 Comments

Rosette Wreath with word rosettes!

I finally got around to doing a YouTube doodah for the Word Rosettes.  I have seen various rosette wreaths on t’internet (Pinterest, probably) and thought the word rosettes might be nice for one of them, so I started one this morning.  After spending a diverting couple of hours with the lovely Julia, wandering around Hobby Craft and meeting having a coffee (where I clearly showed my lack of social skills and proved that I spend far too much time in my own company, as I prattled on about whatever was in my head and the poor woman barely got to speak) and where I collected from her the TH rosette die (so generous!) I had to shop and then cook – pulled pork BBQ and sour cream potato salad for dinner, yum, yum – and have still not managed to blog.  Tsk.  I figure I’d better share the progress as I have something ELSE I am keen to share for WOYWW day (and I seethe, still, as the LINE may be installed but they screwed up the order so the actual BROADBAND won’t be active for at least 5 days.  Ggrrrr! That leaves me struggling for another WOYWW session with the old system.  GGGRRRRR agan!)

So here we go.  I made a base from a ring of matboard and then printed this sheet of words.  It’s spaced so the cut strips can be added, wider spaces for the longer words and shorter ones for the small words.  All are 1 1/2 to 1 inch wide.

I left the sheets attached to the printer paper so I could score all the strips in one go, THEN peel them off the sheet to fold and collapse the rosettes.

I hoped the Merry Christmas on the red patterned paper would be clearer, and I may replace that with another one – so do test out your papers to make sure the words are clear enough for you!

Then I will attach them to the frame. Like so.

And just a close up so you can see a couple of them better:

Now I need to do 3 or 4 more to fill in the gaps, then tidy up and get the new project out.  And at some point I will carry one with my idea to fit the word strips to the TH rosette die, now I have it.  Oh there is nothing more frustrating than an idea delayed!  I missed about four crops in the last 8 weeks, at least two chances to get my mitts on that die, and it’s been making me crazy.  I feel certain it can be made to work – in fact someone commented on the YouTube show that same idea, so it’s not just me who thinks it’s a good one – but so much easier to deal with the die, the cuts themselves, and not just the measurements!

Bear with me while I play.