scrappystickyinkymess


2 Comments

More about stamp-making for Art Journals

I have to warn first that these stamps are not what I consider to be fine enough for say cardmaking.  They might make an interesting background but overall, when I made them I had my fledgling play with art journals in my mind.  I think they provide the free-wheeling, less-than-perfect effect that I would expect in an art journal. For me,  if it is perfect, well what’s the point?  It’s all about playing, not about creating something with perfect lines and perfect stamping and perfect lettering.  Is that because I am incapable of those things?  maybe.

So for these I used a few things – mostly QuicKut dies, cause I have them, and my Grand Calibur isn’t working at the moment. I started with a metal tag shape, so a circle frame with a circle within.

I laid them out in a pattern I thought would be useful (I used them yesterday on a page that had a list and the circles are big enough for writing in.)  Peeling off just the rim-backing I laid over a piece of packaging.

That gave me one stamp.

But I was thinking of the inner circles – that would give me a second stamp and one that nested within the first! Cool. So I placed the inner circles, peeled off the backing and pressed another bit of packaging on to make the nesting one. The sticky back sticks to you, so using one of the release paper scraps to help place them is good.

If your stamp is perfectly regular, a grid, you can just nest the second set inside the first, but mine never are regular.

You can carry on making more, for different centres

and stamp them then over stamp them for different effects

and how about this little border from the innermost circles?

As I said yesterday they aren’t up to serious scrubbing but clean up nicely with a baby wipe if you use dye ink.  For permanent ink, just accept they will get stained.  They work with acrylic paint too.  and I have more to share but I’ll give you a sneaky peek – colouring with Neocolor II water-soluble wax crayons gives some really neat effects! On the left, coloured just after cleaning with a baby wipe (so just a hit of moisture) and on the right, brushed over with a water brush for a more painterly effect!

And there will be more on THAT too! I know I said that yesterday but there is just too much to share and this post is already hugely long and photo-rich.

I went on to make another one using the letter O:

Both very useful.