For the first time since I started doing these I just about gave up today. I tried so many different things, including glue crackle (my cheap PVA was not Elmers, was very stringy and gloopy, and it was just rubbish), pastels (mine were not-water-blendable oil pastels, looked rubbish), a different embossing over coloured card, sort of a Joseph’s Coat-like technique (the paper was perhaps too thin to stand up ti all the inking and embossing and rubbing, looked rubbish), and a different sort of stamping and embossing (by that point my hands were so coated in inks and paint and other sticking things I kept staining the near-final effect with them), so in the end, rubbish) and nothing was making me smile.
But I spent quite a lot of time sorting thru my stamps, and there was a pile of borders on my desk. That proved the success of the day. I grouped them on my stamp block, stamping and embossing with my lovely WOW clear embossing powders. Where there were gaps I added a very thin border stamp to fill in. I left one area blank for the number word.
I sponged on some green Kaleidacolor inks – it could have been Distress ink but I think that may have lacked the vivid intensity I wanted and didn’t want the reaction to the wet mist. I spritzed some bright lime Cosmic Shimmer over that then smudged the edges with Black Soot DI so it fit more with the basic-black theme of Spades.
I’m frankly a bit fed up now. Usually I have the idea, of a technique I’ve seen or heard of and fancy experimenting with, and while I may have the odd false start usually it works out in the end. Today was just an exercise in frustration! I do love the final product, and think I love my border stamps a lot, but it just took too blinkin’ long to accomplish. Only 8 more Spades to go then back to red for Diamonds…..