scrappystickyinkymess


10 Comments

Easel Card – my first!

OK, so I am still loving 4×6 Photos love, lest you think I have sidelined it, but I am sort of pre-preparing a few layouts to take too my crop on Saturday.  I’ll finish assembling them there, make the embellies, and hopefully come home with at least three done.  Woo Hoo!

BUT, I wanted to go back to a couple of my Newbury stamp show purchases.  First, that sticky-backed template material.  I wanted to test out a few things the vendor said, like that the thin material can be cut by a die cut machine.  And it can!

I used a Marianne Creatables die.  I stuck the material on FIRST, as there was no way I was going to cut out all those little semi-circles, and that worked as well – at the show she demoed adding the fabric to the already cut die then trimming with scissors.  I did take the precaution of running it through forward and back, and did add a thin shim just over the die itself, but mostly because I wanted the embossing to show.  It did, slightly.

 

 

I like that there is very little wast of the material or the sticky stuff.  The little flowers were stuck to scraps and then cut out to add as embellishments.

 

 

I cut a little curve of cardstock and created the greeting on a little banner, as you need a dimensional greeting to make the easel part stand up.

OK so now the other stamp purchase – those letters.   They don’t look half bad, do they? Yeah, well look at the debris I generated to get those 8 letters:

That isn’t even all of it.  It took me FOUR tries to get a decent o! You can see how the letters come out (or not)

 

And the state of the die after I poked at it to pry the letters loose

And the killer is that I LOVE the font.  It’s a perfect size, just my style, and should have been my favourite purchase.  Instead all I want to do is throw it in the bin.  I’ve emailed DoCrafts to see what they say.  I am so hoping it is just a bad die and not a bad product, because I WANT THIS to work well.

So here is the card standing up. In the end I smudged some of the same Distress ink on the letters as I edged the card with, which disguised, a bit, the wonkiness of them and I can live with them this once.  But I won’t be reaching for them again in a hurry.