My spirit of endeavor is strong! But I have discovered a few things – the last Last Doll made with my MIL was a problem due to not getting the right cover fabric. Well, I discovered that large, long sleeved tee-shirts from Primark in a nice apricot-y colour work perfectly for this (although I find sewing stretchy fabric fiendishly difficult.) And at £2.50 each in the largest size they are an economical solution, cheaper even than the cost of the raw fabric from the fabric store! Also, the dolls can wear 3 YO clothing – I got a pair of jammies at ASDA this AM that fit perfectly and cost me less in time and money than fabric would have done.
BUT the stretch tee-shirt fabric is quite tricky to do the facial features on as the paint and Sharpie tends to skim the grooves. Still I think it works well enough. I found a few anime Eyes Photoshop brushes and spent a lot of time with DD sorting out exactly which eyes she wanted, and which hair style, then converting those to things I could actually do. She still needs one arm finishing and sewing on, and the hair glued in place, and trimmed, but more or less DONE!
Quite worryingly DD has ALREADY mentioned that maybe we can make ANOTHER one in the summer holidays. Yes, Bev, the question of are they for me or her may seem an obvious one, but I promise if you heard the cursing I do while in the middle of the process that question would be answered – I also discovered that leaving the really tricky bits, like the fingered-hands, to my MIL last time was a mistake! I struggled a LOT with this, to the point she almost ended up with paddle hands, thumb only. How you are meant to add a 1/4 inch seam allowance to a pattern that has less than then between the fingers I have no idea! How MIL managed it is a mystery to me.